Adjunct Faculty, American Sign Language
Department: Liberal Arts
Reports To: Associate Dean
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req779
Employment Type: Part-Time Faculty
Vacancy Number: CUSTOM.VACANCY.NUMBER
Union Position: Non-Union
Work Schedule: To be determined based on business unit need. Classes may be offered during the day, evening and/or weekend. Please indicate your availability when applying for this position.
Teaches a variety of courses in American Sign Language.
- Prepares and delivers learning activities in order to achieve course outcomes
- Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments and handouts
- Evaluates and grades students’ class work, laboratory work, assignments, papers, and examinations
- Maintains and Teaches a variety of courses in American Sign Language. • Prepares and delivers learning activities in order to achieve course outcomes • Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments and handouts • Evaluates and grades students’ class work, laboratory work, assignments, papers, and examinations • Maintains and submits student attendance records, grades and other required documentation by specified deadlines • Be available to students for coaching • Periodic meetings with supervisors, division, or College, relative to teaching duties and training and development submits student attendance records, grades and other required documentation by specified deadlines
- Be available to students for coaching
- Periodic meetings with supervisors, division, or College, relative to teaching duties and training and development
- Master's degree in ASL or ASL interpreting or Master's degree in related field with at least one or more of the following:
- Minimum 1 year teaching experience in ASL or ASL interpreting
- ASLTA certification
- RID certification
- Bachelor’s degree in ASL, ASL interpreting, or related field
- Graduate of an Interpreter Training Program
- ASLPI rating level 4 or 5 (Level 3 may be considered based on additional qualifications)
- SLPI rating of Advanced or higher (Intermediate Plus may be considered based on additional qualifications)
- Native or near-native fluency in ASL
- Understanding of ASL grammar and structure
- Evidence of a strong commitment to professional development and staying current in the field of ASL
- Current membership in ASL Teachers’ Association (ASLTA). Ohio ASLTA, Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) and/or Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT)
- Willingness to learn teaching techniques and technologies
- Understanding and embracing the mission of the college
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (or equivalent)
- Advanced communication (verbal, written and interpersonal) and organizational skills
- Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population
- Experience applying diverse instructional strategies in response to student learning styles
- Teaching experience
Special Note: This is a part-time (adjunct) faculty position. Adjunct faculty positions are ongoing pooled positions. Therefore, your materials will remain on file and be reviewed on an as needed basis. In the event you are called for an interview, please have copy of unofficial transcript based on requirements outlined in posting.
In order to be considered for an Adjunct faculty position, these additional documents are required to be uploaded: Unofficial transcript & license/certifications (Based on requirements outlined in posting)
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.